- Work out the size of your conservatory foot print : Although obvious the size of your conservatory will affect the style you pick. E.g. if you are limited on space stay away from the designs with angled corners like the Victorian conservatory or you won’t get your conservatory furniture inside
- Survey the proposed site : Look around for manhole covers for drains etc. But also stand in the garden and look back at the house and see if there are any toilet over flows or drain pipes that you need to tell the conservatory designer about.
- Decide on your budget : As with every purchase getting the most for you money if paramount. But don’t be fooled by cheap conservatory prices always check the conservatory specification against the price.
- Select you conservatory Style : These can vary and don’t be afraid to ask for something special if that’s what you want. At diy conservatory quote we can draw and design and advise you on all aspects of the conservatory design process.
- Conservatory Colour : Generally the rule of thumb is match the conservatory to your house or bungalows window colour. We offer white, rosewood, light oak or rosewood on white. We stay away from coloured conservatories as getting the ancillaries to colour match is difficult despite what the companies selling them say.
- Conservatory door position : One of the most important considerations when designing a conservatory. The natural temptation is to put the doors, when looking back at the house, middle and centre. Now if you stop and think about this it immediately drives a walkway corridor straight through the middle of the conservatory. The best place is usually on one of the sides.
- Conservatory Roof Type : Generally there are two roof types of conservatory roof. Glass or polycarbonate. If you are new to all this here is a quick and easy guide to roofs. Polycarbonate roofs are cheaper than glass roof. If you are going for a polycarbonate roof make sure you get as thick as you can. Certain high street diy stores are selling 16mm roofs our standard is 25mm but you can upgrade to 32mm. If you decide on a glass roof you instantly are opting for the quieter option if it rains but make sure you don’t lose all your heat from the building. Select a high performance glass and you won’t be disappointed.
- Conservatory Glass type : This is all about heat loss and what you are using your conservatory for. If you want to use your conservatory all year round you need to select a low emission heat saving glass like Pilkington k glass. This glass reflects heat back into the room whilst allowing the suns warming rays to pass through and heat the conservatory as well.
- Conservatory Ventilation : Make sure that you have enough opening windows to get a cooling breeze passing through the building even with the doors shut. We see a lot of customers asking for all top opening windows as they are totally unaware that with a dwarf wall you can have large mid-opening vents.
- Preglazed Window Frames : The latest thing on the market. If you have never glazed a window or toe and heeled a door then you could be in trouble. Knowing how the pack the frames correctly to give adequate drainage is a must. Also who is picking up the bill for any broken or smashed glass whilst glazing ? You !
Archive for the ‘Conservatory Design’ Category
At Diy Conservatory quote we are constantly looking for ways to improve your conservatory experience. No other systems company offer Best technology that allows you to factory glaze the internally beaded windows and then connect them together. This unique patented system also has the benefit of being reinforced from the bottom of the frame to the top creating an extremely secure and drill hole free structure. Our 70mm internally beaded frames also carry the highest specification 28mm toughened glass safety units. IF you are fed up with unreliable builders why not take a look at our durabase system that can be erected on average in just 4hrs. With no skips and no mess the durabase is ideal for uneven ground , carrying through terraced houses or just because the local builders are too expensive or unreliable.
At DIY Conservatory Quote we offer the best conservatory design advice for your conservatories. Take a typical Edwardian Conservatory, this flat fronted design is the most spacious and its internal spaces give you the most room for your money.
When designing a conservatory the first thing to consider is what am I going to use this conservatory for?
If its going to be a dining room on the back of the house is it big enough to comfortably seat your table and guests with out being cramped. If its going to be a TV room do I need a glass roof to keep the noise of the rain down on cold winter nights.
Conservatory kits are a great way to improve you the value of your home if done well. Conservatory kits can also be cheap and nasty and create an eyesore.
It is a common misconception that all conservatory kits are the same. Well let me tell you now they aren’t. Like everything there are good and bad and like everything in life you generally get what you pay for. What they are, is great way of adding space and value to your home.